Friday, November 14, 2008

The universe is getting old, God and Prop 8

Not that I'm one to talk about age... but the universe is OLD!

I had an astronomy class today and was taught that the universe is 13.7 billion years old and that it started with a big bang. What astronomers admit that they do not know is: A.What caused it? B.Where did the energy come from? and C.Why did it happen?

My teacher rocks and I really enjoy his class a lot. He knows SO much! As a class we know that he doesn't like to talk about religion but does like to to point to evidence when asked what he believes. So I asked him point blank "If there is no heaven, and if the earth will die off then what does it matter what happens to the universe?" He answered "to be blunt, it doesn't matter."

That scares me.

The reason for Christianity is to help people who have no belief of an afterlife and the importance of this life, from imposing their views on those of us who do believe that actions here matter.

For a person who sees no purpose for this life, there is no thing or code of morals to keep them from doing whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want.

There is no belief and no one to be accountable to. There's no source of good so there can be no evil. There is no evil to be stopped since evil doen't exist.

I believe that evil is stopped by love, faith and the goodness of those who are willing to stand up for truth that can not be seen but only believed.

Most of the people who oppose the passing of Prop 8 do not believe the bible to be Gods word. I try not to be too religious on my own blog but I will say this:

I believe that the most important thing to God are his children which is what we are. So the most important thing to us should first be him and then our children. Making children is best done in families between husbands and wives. I believe there is a God and that this is his plan no matter what we say. I support the views of the people who lead the church I belong to. I belong to this church because I have prayed to God and I feel this is the best place for me to be. I respect others who choose not to believe what I believe. I love the freedoms we have to believe many things and to stand up for what we believe in.

I feel that people who supported Prop 8 should not be punished or protested for supporting what they believe is right.

Leave somments if you want and if not it's ok we're still friends.

2 comments:

MA said...

Spot on Skippy!! I really appreciate your thoughts. I am glad there are people in the world like you that are who they are no matter what others say or do. Thanks for being you :)

EmilyJudd28 said...

#1. People without a belief in god still have to be accountable to their family, friends, and most importantly, themselves. Every action I make has a consequence, and I have to be accountable for that.
#2. There are sooo many children in orphanages all around the world... Just because gay people can't procreate the natural way doesn't mean they can't create their own family.
#3. I'm glad that we fight about this stuff but are still friends!